Monday, April 2, 2007

iPod World

I love my iPod

I hate my iPod

I started thinking about this when I went on vacation and I wondered that maybe I’m not the only one thinking about it.

I’ve had my current iPod for two years and before that I had one variation or another almost from the original that came out in 2000. And all this time I’ve been shutting the world out.

Since I’ve been back from vacation I’ve not used my iPod. I use to use it on the way to and from work and in the gym. Sometime during vacation I stopped the noise addiction and starting hearing the world around me again.

Did you know that birds sing and that weather makes a noise?

I’ve begun to think that the iPod isolates you in very unhealthy ways. I can walk to work and back without hearing or seeing any of my surroundings except for maybe the occasional traffic signal. In the past few days I’ve seen the daffodils blooming, heard the dogs in the park, listened to the wind go through the trees and heard the traffic. The sounds of the city can be amazing and I’ve cut myself off from it for close to 7 years.

I would rather be a part of the world, not a part from the world.

So that leaves me pondering about my iPod. Do I keep it? Do I ditch it? What value to me does it have other than to cut me off from my world and the rest of humanity?

Stay tuned, after I’ve been back for a bit I may just want to isolate myself again.

No comments: