Thursday, April 26, 2007

I hate computers part I

Ok, I’m ready to cry now. I just spent the better party of late yesterday and all the morning up until 1:30pm trying to install the new helpdesk software. It’s supposed to be easy. You just install it over the old version, right? Nope. First you have to install the service pack to the old one. Then you have to install the new one and import all the information into it. But the new one will not install on the same server as the old one even though they tell you it should. So I installed and uninstalled over and over again and finally gave up on it and went home for the evening last night.

I wake up at 5:30 am this morning so I get up and start working on it again from home with terminal services (remote control). I do that for a bit and then decide to come to work after getting ready. I’m here by 7 this morning. I decide the best thing for me to do is take one of the old servers and reformat it and start from scratch. I decide on the old Dynamics server. This is our old financial software server so I decide to make a full backup of is first. This takes most of the morning.

I then proceed to reinstall windows server 2003. It goes pretty smoothly. I tell it to use the whole disk for the install and then keep installing it. After a couple of hours it’s installed and the computer comes up to the blue screen and a desktop. I’m happy and then start to look around only to find that it hadn’t erased the partitions form the old install. So I still had a small c drive and a big d drive. I decide that I can live with this and that I will proceed with the new install.

I install the service pack 1 for windows server. I install SQL server. And then I start to run the automatic updates. Goes for a bit and then tells me the c drive is running out of space. It’s taken me all morning to find out that there REALLY isn’t enough space on the c drive. I then spend 50 bucks on a disk partitioning software to try and make the c drive bigger without having to redo everything I just did. I download it and then try to install it only to find out that I had downloaded the workstation version, not the server version.

Ok, I go back on-line to find the server virsion------$499!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost cried. IT really shouldn’t be this difficult at all. Anyway, I’m here right now reinstalling windows server 2003 on one honking huge c drive after I made for damn sure that it was erased and remade. Hopefully I’ll be done by the end of the day. Trying to get my serial number off of the eopen Microsoft website right now and it’s giving me grief. It’s been that kind of day.

Did I mention I woke up with some major allergies this morning? This only makes it ever so much more annoying.

P.S. Just a little request, if you read this leave me a comment. I do enjoy them. Thanks.

1 comment:

Andy said...

MUAH SQUEEZE :-) Its the little things like that that make the job interesting, no?