Thursday, August 9, 2007

It’s been awhile.

I’ve been busy beyond belief. In the build up to moving all of our servers to an offsite hosting facility, I had been neglecting to update the blog. I finally have a little bit of time to write.

We had a big outing yesterday at work. It was the summer retreat and it was held at a bowling alley. I was great fun but I had a little too much fun. The weird thing is I didn’t drink all that much but it really affected me like I had drank gallons. There is a reason for this. I’m on antibiotics because of a root canal (more on that later) that I got on Monday. These antibiotics are really nasty and they mess up your stomach something fierce. So I had been going to the bathroom a lot and had gotten somewhat dehydrated. Add to that the fact that I had woken up at 4 yesterday and you have the recipe for disaster. I had 5 beers between 1 and 4 and half a bottle of wine after with my friend Melanie. It might as well been 10 bottles of wine by the way if affected me. I pretty much came home and crashed big time.

First thing I did this morning was write an email to Dave apologizing. We’ve decide that drinking on antibiotics is a really bad idea and that I will not do it again.

As for the root canal, I had gone to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned on Monday of this week and had mentioned that I thought the tooth was ready for the canal. We’ve know that I needed one for about two years but was waiting for it to pop through the gum like a blister, and it did. He said that he had an opening that afternoon otherwise it would be about a month. So I showed up at 12:30 for the procedure.

An hour later he was still working on it. He told me that normally it only takes about 15 minutes but I had a really tight canal (who knew) and he really had to work on it. They get to the canal and then insert a file into it and start to file the nerve out. This is fine so long as I was numb but by the end of it I was starting to feel things.

Not a good thing.

Anyway, I have to go back. He put me on the antibiotics to take care of the infection and that takes about a week. Meanwhile he has a temporary filling in that on the first day disintegrated while I was eating. Nasty tasting thing. So I had to go back for a third time in one day to the dentist to get the temporary filling put in again. I have to go back on Monday of next week so that he can put the regular filling in and shape the tooth.

All in all this is not a pleasant experience and if you can avoid it, do at all cost. There was one benefit though, seems that the infected tooth had been wearing me down over the last two years and I didn’t know it. I just attributed being tired to having turned 40. After taking the antibiotics for one day I felt great! It’s made a world of difference. Wish I had done it sooner.

Off to lunch now.


beatpunk said...

Shaping the tooth sounds painful.

Anthony said...

Sounds like you've been in for your MOT (ask Dave if you don't know what this is!)

Bowling sounds kinda fun .. never actually been myself!